Clear blue skies and the promise of gardens in bloom means winter coats have finally been banished to the back of the closet! Getting into the swing of spring means lighter layers and fun prints. For every brunch date and farmer’s market outing, there’s a pair of cute leggings that will keep you stylish and completely prepared for any chilly spring breezes. White Plum has all the essential pairs your closet craves this season and style inspiration for putting together the chicest ensembles possible.
3 Go-To Outfits
Option #1: Floral leggings + tunic top + colorful statement necklace + classic trench coat + ballet flats Where to wear: Sunday brunch date. Omelettes and mimosas? Count us in.
Option #2: Floral leggings + flowy chiffon tank top + light cardigan + stylish tote bag + Oxford shoes Where to wear: Saturday Farmer’s market. Stock your fridge with greens for the week!
Option #3: Floral leggings + oversized tee + military parka + cross body satchel + leopard print flats
Where to wear: A museum exhibit or sunny afternoon stroll through the park.
Classic + Feminine
Pairs Perfectly With: Polka dots, pastels, and stripes
When the world is in bloom, your leggings should be too! Florals are a spring fashion trend for good reason. The charming simplicity of floral prints captures the essence of the season. And one of the freshest ways to incorporate floral prints into a spring outfit is with printed bottoms. Reach for them on breezy mornings filled with crossing errands off your list in order to be stylish on the go.
When styling floral leggings, you can take a few different routes, since florals are such a versatile print. Keep a spring outfit simple by pairing with neutral basics so the floral print is the standout, or go colorful by choosing tops, accessories, and shoes in pretty complementary hues. Don’t be afraid of pattern mixing, as florals look fantastic when paired with stylish prints. A new take on this spring trend is toughening up florals with leather and boots for a look that mixes tomboy chic with flirty sweet. When in doubt, think chambray! Print leggings paired with loose chambray tunics and ankle boots never fails.
5 mix and match
1. Ballet flatsA pair of comfy flats are a must-have for transitioning your wardrobe into spring. Having a cute pair at the ready (in black, bright red, or playful leopard print) means you can go from work to weekend with ease!
2. Statement NecklaceA colorful statement necklace is the finishing touch to an outfit, especially when transitioning from day to night. Eye-catching with heaps of personality, these pretty baubles are the only adornment needed to make a casual leggings outfit feel more dressy.
3. Military ParkaArmy green coats have been re-appearing year in and year out, making them firmly established as a fashion-forward and functional staple. They add necessary length in your top layer over leggings and just enough rugged edge when paired with basics and feminine pieces.
4. Bright Tunic TopsTunic tops are effortlessly stylish and pair perfectly with leggings thanks to their breezy fit and longer length. Choose hues that stand out or embellished details like embroidery or crochet to nail your off-duty style.
5. Classic Trench CoatClassics stand the test of time, and the lightweight yet elegant trench is definitely one of those. A tan trench coat with an A-line silhouette brings instant tailored sophistication to any spring leggings outfit. Plus, who doesn’t want to look put together in the most Parisian-chic way?
3 Go-To Outfits
Option #1: Chevron leggings + chambray tunic + bright statement necklace + floral print scarf + flats
Where to wear: Board game night with friends
Option #2: Chevron leggings + black or white high-low top + leather jacket + gladiator sandals
Where to wear: Weekend shopping trip
Option #3: Chevron leggings + shift dress + pendant necklaces + bohemian satchel bag + ankle booties
Where to wear: Wine tasting with the girls
Bold + Vintage-Inspired
Pairs Perfectly With: Monochrome staples, chambray, and florals
Who isn’t crazy for the zigzag trend these days? Chevron prints are a chic alternative to stripes for adding a visual interest to casual ensembles. There’s something fresh and fun about the mix of vintage mod appeal with contemporary clean lines. Whether you’re off to a neighborhood block party or meeting up for a weekly book club, tossing on a pair of chevron leggings and an oversized tee ensures you will be stylish in a jiffy.
Some trends come and go in the blink of an eye, but chevron prints deserve the hype since they are one the most flattering patterns for every body type. The angular lines from the inverted V pattern are slimming since they create an illusion of narrowing. This makes them far more forgiving than broad horizontal stripes. With diagonal lines drawing the eye inward, the slimming effect of the print is ideal in maxi dresses, trousers, and leggings to elongate your legs.
Transitioning from day to night is a cinch, since the pattern ups the chic factor compared to basic leggings. A pair of chevron leggings can be perfect for date night with Chelsea boots, an embellished top, and a glam clutch. If you’re putting together a more polished ensemble, a shift dress or a top with feminine lace accents will add just the right amount of sophistication. A lace hem that drops just beneath the bottom of a sweater or blazer is our idea of layered perfection!
If you want to liven up a long list of weekend errands, add a pop of color for bright contrast, like neon pink or lemon yellow. Let the pop of color take center stage and make sure your other pieces are in neutral or monochrome hues. And who says layering is just for the fall? Another weekend outfit we adore for spring is patterned leggings worn under a breezy spring dress, with a chambray vest tossed over. Leggings look best in layered outfits, so mix in spring blues like denim vests or chambray button-ups. Denim pairs well with both a classic black and white pair of chevron leggings as well as the multi-colored jagged pairs with their quirky retro vibes.
Black & White
Spring Outfit Inspiration
Having a foolproof black and white outfit ready to go in the closet at all times is a must for every busy woman! When you’re in the mood for minimalism, black and white is a powerful combination. Chevron leggings can be paired with a black or white top, tunic, or shirt-dress. And the little black dress (think classic like Breakfast at Tiffany’s) gets a modern update when worn over chevron leggings. For accessories, metallics shine in monochrome outfits, especially for a post-work happy hour with friends!
5 tips for Pattern Mixing
What else do you need to know about chevron prints? They are the life of the party when patterns mix and mingle in an outfit! Pattern mixing is not just the terrain of fashion bloggers. Of course there is an art to the clash, but get creative and you can look like a street style darling in no time. Promise yourself that this spring won’t be a retreat into the safe zone of neutral solids and head to toe black ensembles. Master these pattern mixing tips, and you’ll be all set, savvy with plaids and paisley, clever with florals and leopard print, daring with stripes and chevron!
1. Color WheelMixing patterns in a leggings outfit can seem tricky. One way to take guessing out of the style equation is to choose hues that complement one another or hues within one color family, which ties together different prints. And neutral hues, like brown and tan, play nice with almost every color on the color wheel, and are a great way to tone down colors like cobalt blue and fuchsia.
2. Classic PrintsThis is a style tip that can come as a real surprise, but have faith. When you’re mixing and matching patterns, you can treat stripes and polka dots as though they were neutrals. That means you can think of a a nautical striped shirt or a polka dot dress the way you would think of a basic neutral, and pair with patterned leggings.
3. Pattern PalsJust as some colors go well together, some patterns were just made to get along and play nice in the same outfit. Florals and stripes are one of the easiest combinations, and leopard print looks unexpectedly chic with polka dots. Playing with different scales is key, so mix wider, open patterns with tighter, smaller ones.
4. Avoid Matchy-MatchyHere’s the scoop: once you’ve passed the third grade, matching everything in your outfit is no longer the thing to do. There’s no need to get dressed head to toe in the same pattern when there are so many fun patterns to choose from!
5. Breathing SpaceIt’s crucial when pattern mixing that you give the patterns space to breathe. Pairing your patterns with neutrals is the key to avoiding the style label of “too busy”. If you do wear a patterned top with a patterned bottom, reach for another layer in a solid color, like a cardigan. While you can wear a patterned top with a patterned coat or a patterned top with patterned bottoms, sometimes it can look like too much, and you’re better off reaching for patterned accessories, like scarves, shoes, or headbands.
3 Go-To Outfits
Option #1: Animal print leggings + a graphic tee + longer slouchy cardigan + cute sneakers
Where to wear: Busy weekdays filled with appointments and errands
Option #2: Animal print leggings + neutral tunic top + kimono + long beaded necklaces + ankle booties
Where to wear: A documentary screening
Option #3: Animal print leggings + long breezy tank top + military green parka + light scarf + black flats
Where to wear: Picnic at the park
Street-Chic + Flirty
Pairs Perfectly With: Casual or athleisure basics, leather, and bright colors
It’s official: animal prints have made it to the list of spring wardrobe essentials. Feisty and eye-catching, animal print leggings are a walk on the wild side that will surely shake off the winter blues! Animal prints can conjure up the opulent decades of the 1920’s or the free-thinking hippie 1960’s, though the exotic patterns first became popular when Europeans came back from Asia and Africa with the skins of leopards, tigers, and zebras. They were then reproduced on fabrics for the elite, valued then for their exotic allure as they are now.
Animal prints were once relegated to 80’s throwback parties, but they have made a huge comeback on fashion runways, being re-imagined within a modern aesthetic. These days animal prints are a staple of the street style set. Animal print used to be associated with full on vamp to rock and roll edgy, and considered less appropriate for day wear. Thankfully the times have changed, animal prints have matured, making them appropriate for creative workplaces, dinner parties, and weekend adventures alike. And animal print leggings are a great way to ease your way into the trend this spring.
Thinking casual weekend vibes? On days when playground play dates will be followed by the weekly grocery shopping, basic tees paired with sneakers get an immediate upgrade with animal print leggings! And it’s completely possible to dress them up for an evening out with red lipstick and heels. Even though animal prints can seem difficult to pull off, they are essentially neutrals, made up of brown, cream, and black. Still, everyone has seen when animal
How to Wear Animal Print Leggings
Banish Body-conIt’s crucial to mix up the fit when styling animal prints. A pair of tight animal print pants matched up with a tight tank top is not a flattering look. Memorize this: no head to toe body-con. A pair of animal print bottoms look best with a loose grey sweatshirt, a longer tunic shirt, or graphic tee in a relaxed fit.
Skip the faux furPairing animal print fabrics with faux fur can make anyone look like they have escaped from the city zoo. Animal prints are a bold statement on their own, so let them take center stage in an outfit.
Perfect PairLeopard print has been hailed as the new black, which means you can wear it with just about anything in your closet, from your tried and true basics to bright red flats. Try your hand at pattern mixing with animal prints, or reach for neutral hues to complement the colors found in the print.